It’s been a busy time, but it’s finally the time of the year where my coursework is nearing the end.
One of my classes this year was Tailored Jacket and this is my very first attempt at making a tailored jacket, so I’m pretty happy with the final thing. We were given 3 designs to choose from and I chose this one because I thought it looked the least boring, I tried to spice things up with the fabric which I lovee.
Here in the borders there are so many great places for photoshoots! We travelled to ‘Smailholm Tower’ 20 mins drive from Galashiels. Props to S-Dog for the photos.
Thanks for checking out the blog, stay tuned for more 🙂
Yes, a jacket that turns into a bag, Very Confusing.
This course was Design for Function. I’ve only ever made dresses, so this was really out my comfort zone; first jacket, first bag, first jacketbag.
How? Well, the bag was sewn separately to jacket and then sewn open along the back seam on the jacket, so that the jacket can fold into a section in the bag. Then the second section with a zip in the bag could be used functionally. (Apologies if that made absolutely no sense)
My target market was The U.S Coast Guards, thinking about shelter from the water especially (since they’re next to the see). Shout out to W.L GORE that sponsored the class with amazing Goretex material. (http://www.gore.com/en_gb/index.html)
This project took me a solid month and a half to properly get started and there were definitely a lot of late nights sewing and mental breakdowns (that’s University for you).
But 3 months later I have a jacket that actually somehow successfully turns into a bag, and I’m pretty happy with it!
This project was all about not using typical paper patterns and using different creative techniques to make a garment.
The first garment was made using Subtraction Pattern Cutting… What is this you ask? Well I’m bad at trying to explain things, but long story short tube technique invented by Julian Robert, which reduces time and fabric waste. Julian Roberts has made a free pdf file explaining his study into this online- http://thecuttingclass.com/post/65052582315/subtraction-pattern-cutting-with-julian-roberts
The technique creates very organic and weird shapes and after many trials on mini mannequin, I made my final dress which I was pretty happy with….(except for the back, which is too short because mannequins don’t have legs, so forward thinking next time hannah)
Step 1- Drawing on bodices and creating random line
The next garment was created by taking 4 jersey t-shirts (American Apparel) and draping the fabric directly onto the mannequin. I created a cardigan/tied dress which I was really happy with and totally would wear…